Collections

Home | Collections

Education

Freshwater Bay Museum has a designated collection of approximately 1500 education items, including artefacts, photographs and documents. These are authentic museum objects and form part of the Museum’s collection.

Boat Shed

The Boat Shed Collection is representative of boat building and boating on the Swan River from the early 1900s. There are approximately 700 artefacts associated with the Boat Shed that include a varied range of boat building materials. It also has connections to the Broome Pearling Industry as pearling luggers were built in the Boat Shed.

Photographs

The Freshwater Bay Museum holds 3,700 photographs of people, places and events in Claremont and the wider Freshwater Bay area, from the 1860s to the present. Many people have donated photographs or copies of photographs since the Museum began collecting in 1975.

Oral Histories

Freshwater Bay Museum has a collection of more than 130 oral histories of people associated with the Freshwater Bay area. To understand an event or a place it is important not just to have the facts – but also to understand the thoughts, feelings, hopes and fears that surround the event.

Signal Cabin

The Claremont Railway Signal Cabin is now the only surviving example of the ‘typical’ early W.A.G.R. metropolitan area lever signal cabin. Additionally, it is the only one which is still in its original location. It was first opened in October 1906 and was built to control an increased number of trains through the Claremont Railway Station and into the once busy goods yard.

Object in Focus

In 1901, a tender was accepted for the construction of the Claremont Baths, situated at the end of Chester Road. Mixed bathing was unacceptable. Women pressed for separate facilities in 1903. For many years the baths were major venue in WA for contesting national, state and school swimming titles; a training pool for many champions. A centre for teaching swimming and life-saving. The Baths were shark proofed in 1920s after a fatal shark attack near Scotch College boatshed. In 1936 main pool (boys' baths) extended to Olympic size (55 yards x 33 yards). The girls' baths were approximately 33 yards x 33 yards. (See 04.18 for aerial view and relative size).The baths were constructed on piles with boardwalks surrounding the pools. Living accommodation and changing cubicles were of weatherboard with iron roofs. The pools were separated from the river by open picket fencing.