Walking Trails

Home | Getting Started | Walking Trails

About Claremont

Prior to European settlement the district of Claremont was associated with Aboriginal people of the Whudjuck Nyungar group. The Swan River Colony was established in 1829 and in the 1850s land was subdivided in the Claremont area to provide accommodation and land for the Pensioner Guards who had accompanied convicts to the Colony. From 1875 onwards large tracts of land were acquired by speculators and in the 1880s and 1890s these lots were further subdivided for housing lots. Initially the people who took up these lots were the moderately wealthy and the merchants of the day. In 1881 the Perth to Fremantle railway line was opened and this was the catalyst for growth and development in the Claremont area.

The name ‘Claremont’ was chosen in 1880 by Stock and Station Agent James Morrison, wanting to market the land to a class of people who may not have been attracted to a place called ‘Butlers Swamp’. Claremont Railway Station was built in 1886, and the commercial centre of Claremont subsequently developed along Bay View Terrace to Stirling Highway.

Trail 1 – Cobblers and Conflicts

A self-guided walk trail. Approx 1.5-2 hour duration. 5.3 km

Click the brochure below to enlarge.

walking_trail_1

Trail 2 – The Yargine Track

A self-guided walk trail Approx 1-1.5 hour duration. 4.5 km.

Click the brochure below to enlarge.

walking_2

Trail 3 – Trail of Memories

A self-guided walk trail. Approx 1.5-2 hour duration. 5 km.

Click the brochure below to enlarge.

walking_3

Trail 4 – Discovering the Terrace

A self-guided walk trail. Approx 1 hour duration.

Click the brochure below to enlarge.

walking_4